Saturday 30 May 2020

Spiritual Pathways

So, have you ever met a Christian who you think is ‘better at it’ than you? Maybe you know people who regularly fast, or who can lose themselves in worship, or who spend hours in prayer. And you think either ‘wow, I wish I was like that’ or you feel inadequate measuring yourself against them. Moreover you may have tried to be like them in some way, but failed? We’ve probably all been there, but have you ever wondered why?  We know that we are all unique and created with different abilities and natures, we know we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others, so why do we compare ourselves to other Christians? Maybe these people are wired differently to you. Perhaps they have a different ’spiritual pathway’ to you.

Spiritual pathways are something I came across about 10 years ago which really impacted my thinking. Bill Hybels in his book 'Courageous Leadership' describes spiritual pathways as ‘doors that open a room where we can feel particularly close to God’. It is a way of understanding how we best relate to, or connect with, God. And when we are aware of this we can nurture and grow in our relationship with God.

Hybels outlines seven pathways : Intellectual, Relational, Serving, Worship, Activist, Contemplative, Creation. When I first read the names of the different pathways. I assumed I would come out as Serving and Activist; at the time I was working for the church therefore I was definitely serving God and I like to be busy therefore I must be an Activist. However, when I completed the exercise my two main pathways were Worship and Creation. It was only when I realised it was about connecting with God that I understood why these were my main spiritual pathways . Yes, I was serving God in my work and I was involved doing ‘stuff’, but those were not the way I primarily related to God. I love it when there is time to sing worship songs especially at festivals like New Wine and Spring Harvest and latterly at our college worship times. Times when I am surrounded by others worshipping in song, enjoying the music and words. And my heart sings when I am in nature. I love being in the hills and mountains. Creation is amazing and I find God in the beauty of a flower and in the magnificence of a mountain range. Knowing that these two activities help me connect with God, gave me a real release when worshipping and when in nature.

So I would encourage you to consider what your spiritual pathway(s) might be. Most people are thought to have one or two main pathways. There are various questionnaires online to help you (see further resources below). Once you have identified your pathway, use it to develop your relationship with God. Explore specific activities and spiritual practices that help you come closer to God e.g. praying with others (relational), reading a theological book (intellectual), listening to worship music (worship). Then look at the other pathways and the activities/practices that are associated with them and perhaps try some of them. They aren’t likely to feel quite as natural and or as easy, but it is good to challenge ourselves sometimes. All pathways offer an opportunity to grow in our relationship with God and no pathway is better than any other pathway. Those activities and exercises that are associated with other pathways can be helpful and will add to your spiritual growth.

As with all ‘personality’ tests, there are negative aspects. Some people don’t like to be classified in any way. And that is fine. If you are not interested in this then don’t waste your time trying to engage with something you won’t find helpful. Find something else that will help. This is only one tool designed to help you connect with God and grow in your relationship with Him.

Further Resources

If you are interested in understanding a little more about Spiritual Pathways, there is further information on the internet and the following books are recommended:

Bill Hybels, Courageous Leadership, 2002, Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Gary Thomas, Sacred Pathways, 1996, Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Spiritual Pathways Workbook (
Gary Thomas website)

Below are links to websites with questionnaires to help discover your spiritual pathway (some reference more than the 7 pathways listed in the blog post). Some of them provide an explanation of the different pathways and helpful suggestions to develop and stretch yourself:


Spiritual Pathways Assessment 1

Spiritual Pathways Assessment 2

Spiritual Pathways Assessment 3

Spiritual Pathways Assessment 4

By Sarah B
___________

1
For a more complete explanation and additional spiritual pathways see Gary Thomas, Sacred Pathways, 1996, Zondervan, Grand Rapids, Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment